SOLSC – 4/31

image“Shrimp at the window!” The lady called from behind the counter. I craned my neck to see just how long the endless line was. The people in line eagerly awaited their food, ready for a plate piled high with fish, fries, and shrimp. I wound my way through the crowded tables, collecting trash and an occasional tip. “Fries at the window!” The woman called above the noise. All around me I could hear laughter and chatter, filling the air, creating an almost comforting feeling. I quickly made my round and returned to the trash. Cups needed to be emptied into the liquids container, plates were to be flipped upside down when put in the trash, and cans went in a separate bag. “Shrimp at the window!” You could hear the woman calling from her spot. I sighed and readjusted my tub, looking out into the sea of people. Crowded tables would eventually pile up their trash and then put on their coats. They would then leave with a smile on their faces and their stomaches full.

One thought on “SOLSC – 4/31

1. I love this, Amber! I really enjoy the repetition of the lady’s call – it created a good sense of stress which you balanced beautifully with your description and the way you described the sounds and sights positively. Thanks for sharing!